- This event has passed.
Skill Sharing Day
April 4, 2020
- CAR MAINTENANCE –Joel Officer will take you through the basics of how to look after your car.(At Officer’s Auto Care, but meet at the church first. Wear closed-toed shoes and an old shirt.)
- APPLE-PIE BAKING – Virginia Byers, coordinator of Mount Forest United’s Sunday suppers, will share her secrets in mixing and rolling pastry, preparing apple filling and baking pies.
- HOME REPAIR –Bill Stewart a general contractor and carpenter with thirty years’ experience, will give tips on basic home repairs.
- THE ART OF MAKE-UP –Brenda Harrison, a Mary Kay consultant for more than thirty years, will take you through using a moisturizer with foundation and then glamour colours-eye shadows, blush, mascara, lipstick or lip gloss.
- DISCOVER THE UKELELE – (CH) Jane Langeraap Participants in this workshop will learn some easy chords on the ukelele that can be used to play many folk and pop songs.
- CHARCUTERIE CREATIONS – Marg Mitchell , famous for her Holstein’s Maplefest tea biscuits, will help you create a charcuterie board and explore it’s many possibilities.
- CHROCHET FOR BEGINNERS – Learn the basics from Deb Harper, how to chain, single and double crochet stiches, and pattern interpretation that will be the foundation for any creation.
- NAVIGATING YOUR SMART PHONE AND COMPUTER-Daryl Dippel, a certified techie, will help you to understand tech functions and to fix problems.
- GARDENING –(CH) Marlyn Howard and fellow Mt. Forest Horticultural Society member Colette McTavish will start your spring planting indoors with seeds, and discuss new, innovative methods and ideas for vegetables and flowers.
- PICKLEBALL 101- Learn the basics of the game from Scott Harper, the game principals, how to serve, score and play a short game.
- SOUR DOUGH BREADMAKING –Heather Stewart, using Levelynne, will teach you how to make sourdough bread! Make sure to bring a small plastic container if you want to receive a baby starter/levelynne.
- HOW TO HANG WALLPAPER- Shawn McLeod, owner of McLeod’s Painting and Decorating for 24 years, will share tips on how to hang wallpaper.
- PERSONAL FINANCE- Everyone should know the basics of personal finance. Adam Hincks shares his business knowledge.
- BASIC SIGN LANGUAGE –(CH) Heather McLeod is trained in communication with the Deaf. She will teach you Sign language for such things as the alphabet, counting and simple phrases.
- ECO TALK – Natalie Overholt, owner of The Eco Den, will talk about chemicals, zero waste, and recycling with Terracycle.
- COOKIE BAKING – Everyone loves cookies! Mark McArthur, currently studying Culinary Management, will share his secrets and favourite cookie recipes.
- COMPUTER/PHONE SECURITY- Learn to be safe on the internet. Klaus Seibert will explain how to protect you privacy with email, web browsing, social media and online shopping.
- END OF LIFE/ADVANCED CARE PLANNING- Our preparedness is a gift to those left behind. Roseanne Desmarais will discuss what is an Advance Care Plan, Power of Attorney for Personal Care, Substitute Decision Maker and what actually is a DNR.
- SEWING WITHOUT A MACHINE – (CH) Under the direction of skilled seamstress Deb Harper, hand sewing participants will stitch fabric together to create a one of a kind cross body bag to carry your special treasures.
Full-day workshop! Sock Monkey School. Anne Smith will help you create a sock monkey for a special “little one” in your world. Pre-registration preferred. Basic hand-sewing proficiency helpful. Bring a sewing kit- scissors, needles, white all-purpose thread. All other supplies will be provided. Come for fun. Be relaxed! No two monkeys are the same. Not even humans are perfect!