Local News

No Injuries in Mount Forest Fire

MOUNT FOREST –  Nobody was injured after a fire on 235 Egremont Street in Mount Forest on Sunday morning. 

Wellington North firefighters responded along with the Mount Forest Fire Service and the OPP. Crews found a chair on fire in one of the apartment rooms. Smoke conditions were minor and confined to the apartment. They did evacuate 10 tenants as a precaution. 

Damage estimate is approximately $1,000.00

The fire is being treated as accidental at this time. The tenant in the apartment of fire origin was sleeping in the chair that caught fire.

It is illegal in Ontario for tenants to remove or tamper with a smoke and/or carbon monoxide alarm. Violations could cost the tenant or corporation a $235.00 ticket to $100,000 fine. Charges are pending against the tenant and the management company.