Mount Forest – If you plan on going away for the March Break, make sure you don’t post about it on social media until after your back home.
Local Police are providing a number of Crime Prevention Tips. Constable Nikki VanLeeuwen says you want to make it seem as though someone is always home.
“So have neighbours checking papers and we do get snow make sure someone is shovelling your driveway, your doors are locked and that your lights have timers so it looks like someone is actively living in your home.”
She adds posting about your trip on social media is a bad idea because thieves might see it and use it as an oppurtunity to take your stuff.
Police offer the following Crime Prevention Tips if your going away for March Break:
· Check travel warnings
· Let your bank/credit card companies know you are travelling
· Limit cash and use travelers cheques
· Purchase a money belt
· Make a copy of your passport and keep it in a separate place
· Do not announce your travel plans on social media
· Make sure you secure your home, use light timers, have a friend or family member ensure snow removal and newspapers are picked up so it appears that someone is home
· Plan your route to airports and destinations so you are not rushed
· Keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road