WELLINGTON – A modern day twist on the Robin Hood story has scammers taking money from the generous and keeping it for the greedy. Manipulating people into believing that they are donating to charities, when in reality falling for scams.
Wellington OPP have released some tips on how to avoid and catch scams.
– Always verify that the charity is legitimate before donating.
– Refuse high-pressure requests.
– Ask for information about the charity and the registered charitable tax number.
– If someone comes to your door asking for a donation, ask the collector for details about the charity such as its full name, address and how the proceeds will be used. If they become defensive and cannot answer your questions, close the door.
– The best way to avoid charity scams is to make a list of the charities that are most important to you, research them thoroughly and then donate directly.